Taiping Airport /Tekah Airport (1929)
Taiping airport was built in 1929, the first airport not only in Federated Malay
States but also in South East Asia. Taiping airport is located at Tekah, Thomson Road. Also knowned as Tekah
Taiping airport was serving as a commercial airport for the use of the British
officers and European merchants. Taiping airport also served as the airstrip for the Royal Malayans Air Force
(RMF). Until the second world war ended in 1945, the airport served short distance destinations to Alor Star, Kuala
Lumpur and Penang. It was also an important route of stopover for daily flight runs from Penang to Singapore. The
first Malaya airway company, the Wearne Air Service Company made a daily flight to Taiping, to deliver
newspapers to the town.
Taiping airport also achieved fame through the famous American aviator, Amelia
Mary Earhart in 1937, when she was doing her world flight and stopover at the Taiping Airport for refueling petrol.
Amelia Earhart was doing her flight route from Thailand to Singapore, her permission to land at Taiping Airport was
allowed on 7 June 1937 by the then Resident-General of Malaya.
Taiping airport also marked a significant in the history of Malaysia, when Sukarno
and Mohammad Hatta later became the President and Vice-President of Indonesia landed at the airport on 12 August
1945 for a meeting with Dr. Burhanuddin al-Helmi and Ibrahim Yaakub who were leaders of a political party named
KRIS to talk about the possibility of joining Malaya with Indonesia, when Indonesia achieved
Taiping airport has once been chosen as the hub for Global Flying Hospitals (GFH),
an international body that brings humanitarian medical support to developing countries. But it was later found that
the short runway requires expansion to accommodate A310A Airbus aircrafts. And the expansion of the runway will
entail the acquisition of 450ha of land and some terraced houses located around its fringes. Finally Subang Airport
was selected to replace Taiping Airport as the hub for GFH.